How to Improve Our Go Skills
All Go players want to get stronger, to evolve in the understanding of this wonderful game.
Here is a general list of what to do in order to improve at Go:
- Play a lot of games.
- Apply newly learned things in our games.
- Theoretical knowledge should be put into practice.
- It is best to apply new knowledge in our games as soon as possible, while it is still fresh in our mind.
- Try things out.
- Study professional games.
- Have our games commented by a stronger player.
- In general, it is a very good idea to have a teacher - ideally, a professional Go player.
- Study tsume-go (life and death Go problems).
- Solving a Go problem means to be 100% sure about the response we found: try not to look at the answers before that.
- Focus on solving many easy problems fast - better than working on very difficult ones. It's in simple situations where most mistakes occur during real games.
I started a series of Go lessons which I hope you'll find useful.
Also, I reviewed various study resources I came across, to help you choose between different options. Follow these links to get to my compiled study resources:
Other webpages on how to study Go
- Benjamin Teuber's "Guide To Become Strong"
- David Mechner's "How to improve at Go"
- Aiming at Shodan -- Three Faults that Hold you Back